Hajas, Zhey Khal!
I know it’s not the most popular costume this Halloween, but some may have the idea of going trick-or-treating as Khal Drogo. You could probably grab a Conan the Barbarian costume and modify it, sure. That’s cool.
Or you could make your own Khal Drogo costume. Authentically. From scratch.
Sound impossible? If you’re someone like me, yes. If you’re someone like Skxawng over at the Dothraki forum, though, it’s entirely within the realm of possibility.
Way, way back on June 10th, Skxawng announced his intention of creating a Khal Drogo costume. He mentioned the materials he thought he’d need to create a leather girdle, bracers, a medallion belt, an arakh, etc., which sounded impressive, but it’s the pictures that really tell the story.
Here, for example, is an arakh in the process of being made:
And here’s one of the knives that Drogo carries with him:
And here’s the girdle in the early stages:
But perhaps the most impressive shots are these before and after shots. Here’s the cardboard mock-up Skxawng made at the beginning:
And here’s what it looks like today:
Are you kidding me?! That’s outstanding! Great job, Skxawng!
If you want to read more details about the creation process, you can go to the original topic at the Dothraki forum, or you can go to Skxawng’s (real name Bryce Homick) blog zombatart.blogspot.com. In fact, there’s quite a bit more detail at Skxawng’s blog (including how he made these incredible horse medallions!); I highly encourage you to go check it out.
There is one bit remaining issue, though. In the original post, Skxawng was looking for some Dothraki phrases to memorize to go with the costume. I’m not sure if he ever got them, so here are some that might serve:
- M’athchomaroon! “Hello!”
- M’ath! “Hi!”
- M’ach! “Hi!”
- Athchomar chomakea! “Greetings to you all!”
- Hajas! “Be strong!” (Like “Goodbye!”)
- Dothras chek! “Ride well!” (Another farewell.)
- Ifas maisi yeri! “Go walk with your mother!”
- Yer affesi anna! “You make me itch!”
- Ezas eshna gech ahilee! “Find another hole to dig!”
- Ki fin yeni?! “What the heck?!”
- Yer chomoe anna. “You do honor to me.”
- Hazi davrae. “That’s good.”
- Yer zheanae (sekke). “You’re (very) beautiful.”
- Anha vazhak yeraan thirat. “I will let you live.”
- Hash yer asti k’athijilari? “You’re speaking truthfully?”
- Hash yer dothrae chek asshekh? “Do you ride well today?”
- Hash anha atihak yera save? “Will I see you again?”
- Fini hazi? “What is that?”
- Yer ojili! “You’re wrong!”
- Anha efichisak haz yeroon! “I disagree!”
- Anha dothrak chek asshekh. “I feel well today.”
- Athdavrazar! “Excellent!”
Update: lol It’s literal years later, and I finally got the audio working here, only to notice that I misread Yer ojili! as the ungrammatical Yer ojila! Oh well… It’s right on the page; not in the audio file.
Skxawng’s going to have some more pictures after Halloween, so stay tuned! Again, great job!